Friday, 9 February 2018

Titanomachia: Progress Report

Unfortunately I do not have beautiful pictures to put in here with this update, at least not new ones, but I'm throwing this update in here and hopefully various parties will get back to me later today or this weekend so I can show off their fabulous work. And what is that work?

Box art, for both the box and the rule pamphlet. This is pretty important and it sets the tone for the whole business. It was the art on the box that sold me on Adeptus Titanicus back in the day, which I could not afford, and Space Marine 2, which my hard-working brother could. So there's some artists I've contacted with getting that in place. Hopefully that works out soon.

Card art, for the System cards. Part of the plan for Titanomachia involves modular Titans where you can swap out various systems, with the minimum being weapons, but also things like shields, sensors, limbs (arms, legs, turrets), and ablative armour. I'd like these parts to be reflected on the cards so that players can not only identify what's on their Titans, but build in that all-important ludonarrative consonance. When someone plays a weapon card in combo with a limb card, I want them to see the particular weapon and limb on the cards. There's also the backs of the cards, traditionally where we put the art indicating what kind of card it is, and an opportunity for a motif. And I like to think I have a great idea for a motif, but first I need to filter that through someone with great artistic skill and talent than myself. I have someone in mind, but our work together is scheduled for next week.

Dashboard art. An understated part of the game are the dashboards that help players organise all their cards, buildings, shield markers, damage markers, system diagram squares, and so on. Like the cards this needs to be a combination of art and graphic design, making the information stand out while keeping that feeling of being on the bridge of a mighty god-machine. In particular I'm inclined to discard what are currently the "Titan cards" and integrating their information into the dashboards. There's no particularly good reason that these should be separate. Going onto a heavy-weight punchboard as a permanent part of a Titan dashboard is, to my mind, ideal. Also notably I need to redesign the dashboard to fit cards using a sleeve.

Printed components-wise, it's the Chinese New Year break, so I'm not going to hear back from my contacts in China for a while but I have received those lovely "message received" emails that used to annoy me back in the day but that I love now since they confirm the message I sent off into the ether was received. And frankly I do need the time to line up the assets for the aforementioned components. I also need the artwork for the markers (shields, damage, initiative, deadline) and other punchboard components.

Plastic components-wise, my terrain-wizard Tony has turned the initial building into something that can be assembled out of walls, with four walls making a section, making the issue of packing more into much easier. He's also doing an awesome job of making a variety of tops to represent more varied terrain that just office/habitat buildings.

Similarly my robo-wrangler is engaged in work on building the last six weapon systems so that the full range of weapons will be available, and fixing up the existing macro gun and claw so that the former better resembles its gun battery and vulcan mega gun cousins and the latter is less a cestus and moreso an Omega Supreme-style tri-taloned claw.

My rapid-proto-typer is currently printing, at a higher resolution, an upgraded version of the Rhea that is equipped with a turret as reflected in the rules, one in the same yellow filament, and another in more of a cornflower blue. I would have gone with yellow and lavender, but blue is what was available. Someone mentioned they had thought I'd carved the original printout out of cheese, which is an idea I may revisit in the future... Another lovely fellow with a 3D printer may be producing resin versions that can be painted up by a professional painter to put this on the radar of all those miniature fanatics.

Of course, the interesting point right now is going over all the plastic components and making sure that they can be put into a MUD (master unit die, very cool stuff) with a simple two-piece open-and-shut motion so that the eventual frames full of pieces can be cranked out by the plastics manufacturer. Which, to circle back, is why the buildings needed to be flattened, and the robot itself may require breaking up (which is part of the plan) into parts to cram everything into a decent-sized box. I'm thinking in terms of xyz as 24" by 12" by 8".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Looking forward to hearing from you!